Enjoy Kauai’s beautiful coastal resources. However, visitors to our island are urged to
exercise caution and common sense while pursuing ocean related activities.
- Never swim alone.
- Check for beach warning signs before entering the water.
- Check with lifeguard (if available) on beach for surf conditions.
- Avoid swimming in shore break areas.
- Do not dive into unknown water or into shallow breaking surf.
- Be careful on any beach during periods of high surf, riptides are most common during that time. If caught in one, do not fight the current. Wait until it subsides, then swim to shore. Do not panic.
- Make it a point to check with the National Weather Service for surf advisories at 808-245-3564.
- Nudity is prohibited on all Kauai beaches.
W A R N I N G
Warning signs may not be posted at all county beach parks,
and signs might not be posted for all potential hazards.
Therefore, exercise caution and common sense at all times.
The north shore’s coastline is lined with majestic cliffs and flowing waterfalls. Many beautiful
beaches are accessible by foot or by boat and offer excellent snorkeling conditions. Extreme caution must be exercised at all times,
especially during the winter months. Watch for high surf, ocean currents and hazardous shore
The windward side of the island is known to have many beautiful beaches. Tradewinds blow
onshore much of the year. Caution must be exercised at all times, especially during the summer
months. High surf, ocean currents and hazardous shore conditions exist.
The southern coastline is a resort destination. Excellent for activities like snorkeling, diving,
surfing, boat tours and much more. Great general recreation beaches. High surf and strong
currents exist, and caution must be exercised at all times, especially during the winter months.
The western coast of the island is known for its dry, hot and sunny weather. This coastline has
many great sandy beaches, which are excellent for fishing, surfing, and sunbathing. With high
surf, ocean currents and hazardous shore conditions, caution must be exercised at all times,
especially during the winter months.
Click here for a virtual tour of Kauai's beaches!